Minnesota is unique in that there is a dedicated pool of funds that provides financial support to eligible non-profit organizations to deliver a variety of homebuyer/homeowner education, counseling and training services to Minnesotans. This dedicated pool is known as HECAT (The Homeownership Education, Counseling and Training Fund).
Some of the services that are HECAT funded include:
- pre-purchase education and counseling (Home Stretch),
- post-purchase education and counseling,
- home equity conversion counseling (Reverse Mortgages) and
- foreclosure counseling
Funds for HECAT come from four funding partners:
- The Family Housing Fund,
- Greater Minnesota Housing Fund,
- Minnesota Home Ownership Center, and
- Minnesota Housing Finance Agency (Minnesota Housing)
Additional information about HECAT can be found here.
A complete list of organizations that have been granted HECAT funds for the 2009-2010 program year is available here. (PDF Document)